This 5-day dedicated program is designed for 12-17 year olds, to introduce participants to a variety of watersports and teach practical outdoor skills that complement each other and are also transferrable to other aspects of life.
Some of the soft skills that are developed include: self-confidence, communication, teamwork, water confidence, leadership, risk assessing, self-management, problem solving, and adaptability.
Please note our selection of activities depends on weather and tide conditions during the course, as well as group progress, proficiency, and preferences. The program will include a selection of the following:
- Canoeing Ireland Level 2 Kayak Skills Award
- Learn to Windsurf ISA (Irish Sailing Association) focused skills course
- Paddleboard skills and competency
- Team Building
- Weather and Tides
- Sea safety
- Rigging and knots
- River trip: Introduction to moving water and Level 3 Kayak Skills
Canoeing Ireland Certified level 2 skills course
The Level 2 Kayak Skills Award enables participants to kayak safely and competently on flat water and grade 1 rivers. It is the first step in becoming a competent paddler, for both sea kayaking and river kayaking, and teaches the necessary skills to safely paddle a kayak.
Upon successful completion the participant will be able to demonstrate the following skills and techniques:
- Kayak safely and competently on Grade 1 as part of a group being led
- Have an understanding of the safety rules of kayaking
- Assist in basic rescues
- Be able to enter and exit a kayak correctly
- Forward stroke, reverse stroke, and stopping
- Forward sweep, reverse sweep and a combined sweep stroke
- Draw stroke, low brace, edging, edging on the move and turning on the move
- Capsize drill
- An ability to assist in rescues
Successful candidates will receive the Canoeing Ireland Level 2 Kayak Skills Award certificate.
Learn to Windsurf
The Learn to Windsurf Course is a focused skills course which teaches all the basic techniques for beginners and improvers. This is the perfect first step in windsurfing and includes everything from how to correctly set up your board and sail, read the conditions, and safely become a windsurfer.
The following skills and techniques are covered:
- Rigging and equipment
- Assessing weather and tide conditions
- Launching and landing
- Self rescue techniques
- Sailing and stance
- Turning (tacking and gybing)
- Beach start
SUP Level 1 Flatwater skills
Focused on identifying hazards and choosing a safe location to practice the skills and techniques which include:
- Launching and landing
- Effective paddling in both kneeling and standing position
- Paddling technique and changing direction
- Correct wipe out procedure and dismount
- SUP Etiquette and care for the environment